When planning your trip:
- Ensure that your passport is valid and not about to expire. Certain countries do not allow entry to travelers with less than 6 months to passport expiry
- Ensure that foreign entry requirements are met for both transit and destination countries
- Buy a comprehensive travel insurance to protect against any emergencies such as cancellation of trips, medical care, lost or stolen luggage, etc. Always read the fine print and review the plan carefully before purchasing. E.g. types of coverage, main exclusions and declarations.
Things to check with your travel agent when booking your trip:
- Tour booking reference
- Price of tour (Does it include taxes, surcharges or any other charges?)
- Terms and conditions of your tour package
- Date of full payment
- Date to inform confirmation of tour(NATAS recommended guideline is two weeks prior departure for tours of more than 6 days in duration)
- Cancellation/amendment polices/penalties (by agent/consumer)
- Special terms/details of promotional package
- Tour Components
- Names of airlines/hotels used
- Air routes (Any transit? What are the flight arrival/departure timings?)
- Special meals request (Vegetarian/no beef/children meals?)
- Type of rooms (Twin/double/triple rooms?)
- Special needs (E.g. Bassinet seats for infants/wheel chairs)
- Transfers (Sit-in coach basis or meet & greet services provided?)
- Itinerary (Inclusion of entrance fees for attractions/fees of optional tours?)
- Tipping norms/guidelines and/or other customary practices in host countries
- Travel Documentation
- Passport validity
- Visa requirements / procedures
- Date for passport submission/collection
- Health/fitness/vaccinations requirements
- Check if there will be any pre-departure briefings and if so, when.
And last but not least, relax and enjoy your holiday!
This travel advisory has been brought to you by the National Association of Travel Agents Singapore (NATAS). NATAS is a trade association representing the travel agency community.